Ever wondered why earrings that look great on someone else just don’t suit you?
It all boils down to face shape. Different earring styles suit different facial shapes and angles.
How do you choose the most flattering earrings for your face shape and features? What kind of earrings can help polish your look? To avoid future disappointment, here’s a quick guide to identifying your face shape and choosing earrings that will look amazing on you.
A Round face
Characteristics: A round face is most similar to a circle – the widest part is across the cheekbones, narrowing only a little at the forehead and towards the jawline.
Earring Style: The best earrings for a round face are longer styles, to create the illusion of more length in your face.
- Slender and long-statement earrings will elongate your face.
- Dangle or long drop earrings that are angular, geometric, or “spiky” can help balance proportions.
- Avoid large circular earrings, hoops and button studs which only emphasise the roundness of the face.
The drop style and pointed end of these leaf drop earrings may be just what you’re looking for.
Characteristics: Square faces are symmetrical all-around and are boxier than the round face. The forehead, cheekbones and jaw are near-equivalent widths and the jawline is usually strong.
Earring Style: Soften your face’s natural edges and angles by following these tips to choose the best earrings for a square face:
- Stick to rounded earrings such as hoops, or circular stud earrings.
- Medium-length drop earrings with rounded designs are the most flattering for you.
- Rounded shapes will balance your look and help soften the angles of your cheekbones and jaw. Stay away from square studs or any kind of earring with sharp edges, as these will only reinforce the squareness of the face.
Rounded styles like these trendy round drop earrings look great on square-shaped faces, and add a pop of colour too.
Characteristics: Oval/Oblong faces feature high foreheads and elongated features. It’s characterized as the ideal face shape as the natural angles of the face blend together and there is an even distribution to the facial features
Earring Style: If you have an oval-shaped face, you can wear any type of earring without fear of them being too understated or too overpowering. The best earrings for an oblong face are hoops, studs, or triangle-shaped earrings as they bring attention to your high cheekbones. Just avoid going too long with your earring so as not to over-elongate your face.
Check out these hollow teardrop studs. Their short, pointed form look great on oval-shaped faces.
Characteristics: Heart-shaped faces feature a pointed chin and a forehead that is wider than the cheeks. The face gradually narrows as it goes from forehead down to chin.
- Earrings with elongated designs look very flattering on you if you have a heart-shaped face.
- Avoid large or round button earrings as well as inverted triangular earrings as it will bring unwanted attention to the width of your head.
- Earrings that are wider at the bottom than the top help fill in the lower portion of your face, so your face is more balanced. Wide-based styles such as teardrops or chandeliers flatter the face and balance proportions perfectly. For a dressy look, these chandelier earrings make a great choice.
Diamond Shaped Face
Characteristics: Diamond faces are characterised by the cheekbones being the widest part of the face. The chin and forehead are the same width, creating a longer face with the focus on the eyes.
Earring Style: You’ll want to choose earrings that soften your face’s natural angles.
- Stick to teardrop earrings that create more drama at the bottom near your smaller chin.
- To de-emphasize your bold lines, try to avoid earrings that are diamond-shape or that have sharp angles.
- Stud earrings also work really well to balance out proportions and bring out the eyes. These flower-shaped, colourful stud earrings work well for both everyday and special occasions.
Triangle Face Shape
Characteristics: An inverted triangle face has the forehead as the widest part of the face, tapering down to a narrower, pointy chin. This shape is similar to a heart-shaped face, with the difference being that the heart shape is shorter and usually has a widow’s peak.
Earring style: If this describes your face shape then:
- Choose larger earrings that are weighted towards the bottom to balance out your smaller chin and create the illusion of width at the jawline.
- Go for chandelier or teardrop earrings. These sparkly, long teardrop earrings look great on triangle-shaped faces.
- Try to avoid heart-shaped earrings, or any shape that is wider at the top than at the bottom, as these will only mirror the shape of your face.
Ready, Steady, Let’s Shop!
So, now that you’ve figured out which are the best earrings for your face shape, it’s time to do some earring shopping!
Visit us now at www.eshlyjewellery.co.uk for an entire collection of high-quality fashion jewellery and trendy earrings. We have something to fit every face shape and outfit.