Jewellery is an accessory that’s worn right next to the skin, and often it’s the first thing people notice about your outfit. Some people suggest you should choose a piece of jewellery based on what you love, but it’s also important to consider how the jewellery’s colour compliments your skin tone.
Here is a quick and easy way to find which pieces will flatter you best, based on your skin tone.
How Do I Determine My Skin Tone?
Your skin tone will generally fall into one of three categories, cool, warm or neutral. There are reliable ways to determine what skin tone you have:
- The first is to look at the colour of your veins on your inner wrist.
- Next is to notice your undertones when wearing a white t-shirt.
- And next is to consider your skin’s behavior in the sun.
- Lastly, take notice to your natural eye and hair color.
This should help you figure it out!
You have a cool skin tone if:
- You have blue or purple veins on your inner-wrist.
- You notice pinkish or rosy-red understones when wearing a white t-shirt
- You struggle to tan and your skin burns easily.
- You have blue or green eyes and blonde, brown or black hair.
You have a warm skin tone if:
- You have green or olive veins on your inner-wrist.
- You notice yellow or golden-apricot undertones when wearing a white t-shirt
- You have ebony or espresso coloured skin
- Your skin tans easily and rarely burns.
- You have green or brown eyes and red or black hair
You have a neutral skin tone if:
- You have blue and green veins on your inner-wrist
- You don’t notice any obvious pink, red, espresso, or olive undertones
- Your skins burns a little, but can tan too
Matching Your Skin Tone to the Right Jewellery
Now that you know what your skin tone is, you can match your tone to the right gemstone and metal colours for a perfect personal collection that will look best on you.
Best Colours for Cool Skin Tones
If you’ve determined that you have a cool skin tone, you’ll look best wearing white metals such as silver, platinum and white gold.
The silvery white hue makes it a firm favourite amongst people with cool skin tones, as it makes them look more luminous and healthy. This silver-tone shiny necklace is the perfect choice for cool-toned skin.
Rose-gold is a fan favorite of people with a cool skin-tone as long as it enhances a subtle blush tone in the skin. However, if your skin is cool-toned and has strong pink or reddish undertones, it’s best to avoid rose-gold.
In terms of gems, stick with these colours for cool skin tones:
- Blues such as blue sapphire, topaz, and aquamarine
- Reds such as ruby, garnet, and tourmaline
- Purples such as amethyst, fluorite, and sapphire
Jewels for Warm Skin Tones
Is silver or gold for warm skin tones?
If you have a warm skin tone, match your skin with yellow or pink metals. Designs crafted in classic yellow gold, rose-gold or copper look fantastic on you because they’ll bring out the glow of your skin colour without washing it out. Check out this rose-gold bracelet. The pinkish hue will bring out the luminosity of your warm-toned skin.
For gems, reach for these colours for warm skin tones:
Earth-tones such as:
- Yellows including yellow sapphire, citrine, and zircon
- Oranges such as the spessartite garnet, imperial topaz, and moonstone
- Olive-greens such as emerald, jade, and peridot
A great example of yellow gems to suit warm skin tones are these gorgeous Shiny Square Stud Earrings. These earrings have a gold-tone finish and zircon stone detailing that will pop on your warm-toned skin.
Neutral Skin Tone
If you have a neutral skin tone, you’re lucky, because you’ll look great in every colour of jewellery.
What Colour Suits My Skin Tone: How to Use this Guide
While it is always useful to have colour theory info in your toolkit, remember that these are just guidelines after all. You can always bend the colour rules to suit your preferences.
Also, skin tone is not the only factor that affects the suitability of your jewellery. You should also consider your face shape. Read here about how to choose your jewellery according to your face shape . Shopping according to matching colours is a great way to avoid impulsive buying. It will help take a lot of the guesswork out of the job, hopefully enabling you to look your best in the jewellery you choose! Explore a gorgeous range of possible jewellery colour-matches for your skin tone today at EshlyJewellery.